Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Summary of my life

Hi folks,

First, I want to apologize for the 3-day delay in my entry. I did think about writing my post all three of these days but I was "too busy", also known as procrastinated. I am still trying to become regular so I apologize, in advance, for any highly possible future delays.

I wanted to give a brief intro of myself. I am not sure how other bloggers write about themselves in their blogs, that is, if there are any bloggers writing about their life and life lessons. So let's just dive into the almost-three-decade-long life of mine. It all started when I was born in one of the major cities of Pakistan called Lahore. It is also known as the heart of Lahore and is rich in history, traditions, culture, liveliness, and many more things. I completed my early schooling from Lahore and moved to the United States when I was 7.

Moving from Lahore to Seattle was obviously a HUGE transition, to say the least. And even my 7 year old existence felt the abrupt and major change of the shift. I can mention countless experiences which I went through and observations which I made along the years from schooling, to shopping, to working to making friends, to wearing make up, wanting to wear tank-tops, wanting to smoke to fit in, to molding and giving birth to a new identity, a new self.

My family lived in Washington for few years then, but decided to move back as my father was very concerned about upbringing his children according to the Pakistani norms and culture. We lived in Pakistan for about a year and moved back to the States. I am not sure why we moved, it was always the parents' decision. So, after living in States for about 6 months, we moved back to Pakistan and lived there for another year. And then we moved back to the States again for about 2 years. And moved back to Pakistan for 4 years. And then I moved back to the States in 2003 and lived there for 10 straight years, the longest stay in a country. I should make a graph.

And then I got married, moved to Dubai for 1.5 years, and now I'm back in the States. Yes, it's sort of crazy!

Moving back each time felt like a big change, but it was slightly easier to adjust  each time as I was becoming somewhat familiar with both of the cultures. I remember I was in Pakistan and was in 5th grade, I failed Urdu (my native language) and scored the highest in English, and I remember how all the kids in my class made fun of me for failing Urdu which is supposed to be the easier course to pass for anyone. I also remember crying going to school every single day in 5th grade because I didn't like anything or anyone in the school.

I then gradually started to realize that I had been transformed into a different person. But I have to say a flexibly weak person with very hard values. I'm not sure if it's possible for these two types to coexist, but I might be referring and discussing these types in the future posts.

FB


No comments:

Post a Comment